Skip to main content

Passage (Part II)

The skin grows things
When you're not paying attention.
You expected the loss of collagen,
And maybe accept it,
But the tiny silver cactus needles,
That emerged beneath your eye overnight,
Those weren't in the manual.
This is your right eye,
The eye with the crows feet.
The mole just below
Your right orbital rim
Was never without a most stubborn and persistent
Stiff black hair.
Only the two white ones are new.
This is your right side.
This was never your good side.
The left side has the dimple
And smooth eye.
The pores on the left
Aren't as clogged.
The left side was always your good side,
Now, it is your young side.
You can tell by the eyebrow ring scars.
You didn't expect your freckles to join,
Forming age spots.
You didn't expect to see them all over your body.
You expected your breasts and buttocks to sag,
But were mesmerized
When you first noticed that gravity
Has the same effect on your abdomen and thighs
When you lean over just a bit too far.
You were mesmerized
By how that posture rendered your belly conical.
This wasn't in the manual either.
None of this was here yesterday.
Stare into the mirror long enough
And it all goes away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream On

This is the way my mind works – repetition, repetition, repetition – this is how I remember things. Movies, television, happy things, yucky things; nothing useful. I will watch movies in my head over and over again, on a continuous loop; usually three or four or even five at a time. Movies that are in no way related to each other, scenes interspersed, answering one another; over and over and over again. It’s not done on purpose. It’s only vaguely irritating. For every exchange I have with another person, every exchange I overhear, every thought I have, a movie or t.v. quote will instantly pop into my head as a response to whatever is being said. I know I can’t possibly be the only person whose mind works this way, but I’ve yet to meet anyone who can relate and I feel so very alone in the world because of it. Or…I would, if there had never been a television series based upon this type of thought process. This is the fun part. This is a very exciting time for me, because I just gav

(Untitled)

His eyes were always old, But I only ever saw them as the calm beyond the storm. An open invitation to safe sanctuary for all. Our confessor. Our blanket. Our target. He can't extract the magnets, Embedded in his aura, Drawing the corners of his mouth up, up, up, Even when he feels like he's drowning. Somehow, they always find their way into his personal space. The derelicts, The downtrodden, The lonely, The bitter, The angry, The leeches, We feast on his ears, Politeness oft mistaken for giving a damn. I steal sidelong glances, To admire his beauty in candid moments, Always hoping to find contentment on his unmasked face. I'll stare for minutes at a time At a man whose face bears no creases of age, Contradicted by the weary torment he can neither hide, Nor hide from. I only wish to nourish and love, Ever wanting to be his pillow and shield. And if he hurts By all that I've taken, His pain only casts shadows